Nurses didn’t want to help, so I did their job for them’ This post has left people talking. Read

Gladys Mokgotho, a street vendor in Limpopo who was 55 years old, cried as other women watched her unwrap the umbilical cord of a baby boy outside of a closed clinic.

As she tried to save the baby outside of the Burgersfort clinic, the crowd moved every time she moved her hand around the baby’s neck. The nurses wouldn’t help because their shift hadn’t started yet.

This happened Tuesday morning around 6:30, 30 minutes before the clinic opened.

A video that went viral online is being looked into by the provincial health department.

The department also said that the facility opens at 7 a.m. and that it stopped being open 24 hours a day two years ago because criminals were attacking people who worked the night shift.

Mokgotho has been selling outside the clinic for years. At 6 a.m. on Tuesday, she was setting up her stand to sell vetkoeks when she did something on a whim. Thandi Phasha, who was 27, gave birth to her second child while Mokgotho was at work.

When Mokgotho heard a commotion, she sent her son to the gate.

He went back to tell them that a woman was giving birth near the gate.

I got out of my stall and told my kid to keep an eye on it. People were yelling at the guards to open the gate when I got there. She said that other women used scarves to hide the children.

Why was the 24-hour clinic shut down?

Burgersfort Clinic is one of the health centers in Limpopo that has stopped offering services 24 hours a day because of crime.


When Mokgotho saw the umbilical cord around the baby’s neck, it made her worry. The women around her started to panic, and Phasha’s mother pleaded with Mokgotho to help.

“When I saw the umbilical cord around the baby’s neck, I started crying. I was scared of him. She cried as she took it out of the box. In 15 minutes, she carefully took out the tube while the group called for clinic staff. No one was there because the clinic doesn’t open until 7 a.m.

She picked up a child who was crying. The people who were worried let out a loud cheer of relief.

Phasha lay in pain. Mokgotho needed tools to cut the umbilical cord. One woman gave her a piece of a broken bottle.

“I couldn’t take a chance.” Mokgotho didn’t have any gloves, but he wanted to help someone.

A nurse asked the crowd to stop chanting because she didn’t start work until 7 a.m. The umbilical cord was cut by the nurse.

I asked for a wheelchair, but she said the mother would have to be carried into the clinic. She said that we wrapped her in shawls and helped her walk.

Mokgotho, who has four children, was happy that the baby lived.

“I’m glad I saved someone’s life. She did what the nurses didn’t want to do.

Mokgotho got a thank you from Phasha’s mom. Phasha is deaf and gets money from the government because of it.

Phasha said that they were at the post office at 6 a.m. to pick up the social grant for her daughter when she started having labor pains.

They went to the clinic by taxi, but it was closed.

People said that the gates would open at 7 a.m., but my daughter’s labor pains were getting worse. So we spread out some shawls, and she had the baby, “Maria said.

Both Phasha and the baby are doing well at Mecklenburg Hospital.

In the video that has gone viral, a group of women are arguing with a loud senior nurse while trying to keep curious eyes away from a patient.

“Don’t yell at me!” the nurse told the angry crowd. “My shift starts at 7 a.m.”

Leave a Reply